We are delighted to announce that through our dedication to the highest standards we have successfully completed the necessary stages for certification under the FIRAS scheme for Passive Fire Protection (Certificate Number: GX5490) for:
- Penetration Sealing (fire stopping)
- Timber Fire Doors
This achievement, adds to our existing accreditations, reflects the hard work of our Team Members and dedication throughout the business to the continual improvement of standards.
What is FIRAS?
FIRAS is a voluntary, third party certification scheme for installation contractors of both passive and active fire protection systems, operated by Warringtonfire and accredited by UKAS to BS EN ISO/IEC 17065:2012.
Warringtonfire’s FIRAS scheme for installers has been instrumental in improving the installation and maintenance standards of passive and active fire protection products and systems.
FIRAS is the mark of endorsement of competency in the installation of products and systems, vital for achieving the protection required.
Why choose a FIRAS certified installation contractor?
FIRAS certified contractors are required to undergo a three-stage assessment process, and only when the applicant contractor has satisfied all of these criteria is certification granted:
- Assessment of office management systems
- Assessment of workmanship of site for all trade disciplines for which certification is sought
- Competence assessment of supervisory and installation employees
All FIRAS site inspectors and sprinkler engineers have technical and practical knowledge and experience in fire protection. Certification requirements have been developed with UK trade associations including:
- Association for Specialist Fire Protection (ASFP) – Passive fire protection of building structural steel frame, penetration seals (fire stopping), cavity barriers
- British Woodworking Federation (BWF) – Timber fire doors
- Glass & Glazing Federation (GGF) – Fire rated glazed screens
- Door and Hardware Federation (DHF) – Steel fire doors and hardware
- British Automatic Fire Sprinkler Association (BAFSA) – Residential, domestic, commercial and industrial sprinkler systems
- XACT – Residential, domestic sprinkler design and installation training
FIRAS certified contractors are subject to an annual audit of their offices and ongoing, random surveillance site inspections where competence and workmanship are assessed.
FIRAS certified contractors are required to log ‘contracts in hand’ on the FIRAS online database. A ‘Certificate of Conformity (Compliance)’ for the completed works is issued from the FIRAS online database.
FIRAS certification is awarded to the contracting company, not the individual employees. Should a contractor wish to increase their scope of certification, a separate application must be made to attain the additional certification.
Paul Mather, Managing Director of Marlowe Fire & Security commented:
“We are delighted to have expanded our accreditations to incorporate the FIRAS scheme for Passive Fire Protection. The accreditation recognises the professionalism that we strive for and provides assurance to our customers that the work will be carried out correctly, in accordance with industry standards. This award allows us to further support our customers in meeting their legal obligations and developing a fit for purpose fire life safety strategy, ensuring they protect their people and property.”